I love Twitter. I use it constantly. It is my first line of on-line communication these days and my primary source of news. It has made longer form blogging redundant for me (which is possibly not a good thing).
All of which lends, I think, towards understanding the Things I hate about Twitter (as compiled while lying awake at 5am this morning and blurted out on Twitter around 6 - this post includes some extras):
- the two-dimensionalisation of opinion and thought (see point 9)
- the compulsion to illustrate every tweet with a picture, or worse still, an infographic
- people who cram a sentence into a hashtag at the end of a tweet when they should really just write a second sentence
- people who get around the 140 character limit by posting text in a graphic image. What ever happened to accessibility for the sight impaired?
- the PR people who tweet as if they are typing with one hand and holding a social media textbook with the other
- the fawning over "trending topics worldwide"
- meaningless hashtags. #breaking
- hashtag-a-u-s-p-o-l. I go out of my way to avoid using it. a-u-s-p-o-l is a cesspool of derp.
- Log in to post comments